It was the week of our Carnival
And all through the land
We feted and partied
With drinks in our hands!
Normally the week of Carnival is a slow news week. The major headlines focus on who's won the Road March title and Band of the Year.
Not that these things weren't also considerations. But in the space of a carnival week we had:
- A government minister injuring a woman with his vehicle and driving off on Carnival Monday.
- Police arriving late for Carnival duty
- Queries about whether Gibbs' $.9m Crop Duster was actually used for surveillance during the carnival season or to spray White Oak over the crowd!
- Prof Ramesh Deosaran bashing Gibbs for being incompetent
- Anand Ramesar calling for Gibbs and Ewatski to be removed
- The Govt remaining mum on complaints about Gibbs
- Announcements that Trinmar was being farmed out and Petrotrin as good as sold...with Energy Minister Ramnarine waffling about the details and sounding very shady!
- Jack Warner going almost silent after weeks of mouthing off and analysts predicting his imminent demise.
- Reginald Armour having to recuse himself from the Tribunal that's investigating Gladys Gafoor because he also counselling the President
- And Sat acting up again where his Maha Sabha schools are concerned.
In all of this the issue that has the Pantomime the most intrigued is the Motion of No Confidence (Wave Yuh Hand Up in De Air) that the Keith of Rowley is bringing on Friday March 2nd. Since it's announcement Puss in Boots has virtually gone underground....no comments, no sightings, no Louis Vuitton to the Nines in the public face! Knowing The Keith, he doesn't grand charge....if he is bringing a motion, he's bringing a motion and the word on the street is that the inhabitants of the Pink Palace have held a pow-wow to figure out what trump card the Keith has up his sleeve. Want to bet they spend the week toeing the line, attempting to be low key about their mishaps while dredging up meaningless red herrings? The Opposition doesn't have enough numbers to get the motion passed...but my guess is The Keith isn't bent on passing the motion, but on getting information out to raise enough concerns in the minds of the citizenry...as if the daily missteps of this government hasn't been enough.
Short of that Kamla Rani may well orchestrate another SoE to get the heat off her.
Time will tell.
De Vice Cyah Done!